Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Power of the Yoga Voice

It occurred to me that I hadn't yet told you guys about yoga class.

Yoga is at 7:30. This class I really, really look forward to. Is it going to give me Victoria's Secret abs or lift my butt three more inches off the ground? Nope. I have hopes, however, that it will eventually allow me to touch my chin to my knees. Perhaps (maybe) it might give me some balance. And MAYBE, (just maybe?) it will provide the tools necessary to push me through some of the more challenging classes. Nothing ventured, blah, blah, blah.

My teacher shall be known as Gaia. She puts on the mike and has the most soothing voice. It's hypnotic. "Lie down on the mat and relax your body. Let go of the cares of the day." (Okay.....) "Let your body sink into the floor..." (Done. The part of my brain that is still conscious wonders if I'll leave an imprint in the hardwood.) She could tell me to take my bottom lip and pull it over my head in that voice and I would happily comply. Which is a good thing. Because lest you be TOO lulled, Gaia has an agenda in store.

She starts off very slowly, putting us through Sunrise Salutations 101. NIIIIIIICEEEE......I can do this! Yay me! (Pride goeth before the fall, people. No, literally. I mean the FALL. Or the awkwardness I go through trying to prevent the fall, which is probably worse. Those of you who know me in real life will probably already be laughing at the mental picture. Shut up. LOL) Then we get to the part where our hands are in this prayer-like pose at our heart centers. She says, "Raise your right leg" in her Bene Jezerit voice. I have no choice. I must obey. My right leg is raised, bent at the knee, toe pointed. Hands are still in prayer pose.

"Now, turn your upper body to the left," she instructs. Helplessly, I am pulled along. But I'm doing it. Yay me!!!

"Extend your left arm" I'm a little scurred. I'm more like "I Love Lucy" when it comes to the grace thing. But Gaia has commanded it in that voice. It is like the law of the Medes and the Persians, which does not change. It's in the Bible, people. I have to do it. And I DO..... Yay me....

"Extend your right arm, and hold it. BREATHE..." Good thing she included that breathing part, or I might have forgotten it. Because my whole focus is now in maintaining this pose without falling over. Must. not. fall. and. humiliate. myself. Must. keep. leg. UP. BREATHE. Gaia, talk to me again!!! OMG!!! Yay me??

Just in time, she allows me to lower my leg. And we begin again on the other side.

Believe it or not, this is actually relaxing. Fun. I'm hooked. And I really wanna learn the Bene Jezerit voice thing. I'm hoping I can use it on my hubby and sons. There is untapped power and potential here, people. Believe it!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Pam. It is so nice to read you. I can hear your voice in my head. You make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete